Madrid, Segovia Bridge
The Puente de Segovia is a nine-arched Bridge over the River Manzanares connects Calle Segovia with Paseo de Extremadura. It was built in 1582 during the reign of Felipe II by Juan de Herrera, who was also responsible for the Escorial Monastery. The bridge was intended to make the journey to Segovia a little easier. The architect gave it his personal trademark, adding some unmistakeable stone bollards as decoration.
In the background:
The Palacio Real or Royal Palace is the largest palace in Europe. It has more than 2000 luxuriously decorated rooms, 50 of which can be visited. The Palace was built between 1734 till 1764 by Juan Bautista Sachetti and Francisco de Sabatini for the King of Spain. Today the royal family lives in the small Zarzuela Palace, a former hunting lodge outside Madrid. The Royal Palace is still used for official ceremonies and receptions. The palace also includes the Arméria Real, the royal army museum and collections of art.
The Plaza de España is a green square, which is located at the end of the Gran Via, one of Madrid's busiest streets. It features a large fountain and famous statue honouring the Spanish writer Cervantes. It became a popular meeting place in the 1950s, after two of Madrid's largest buildings were constructed: the Edificio de España and the Torre de Madrid. Both buildings were constructed by the project developer Metropolitana and designed by the Otamendi brothers.