The Praça do Comércio is located in the city of Lisbon and situated near the Tagus River. The square was destroyed by an earthquake in 1755 and was completely remodelled as part of the rebuilding of the Pombaline Downtown ordered by the Marquis of Pombal. The large square (170 m by 170m) in front of the Ribeira Palacewas rebuilt following the symmetrical design of Portuguese architect Eugénio dos Santos. He designed a large, rectangular square in the shape of a "U", open towards the Tagus River. The symmetrical buildings of the square were filled with government bureaus that regulated customs and port activities.