Eugenio dos Santos de Carvalho (1711 - 1760)
Eugenio dos Santos de Carvalho, born 1711 in Aljubarrota,was a Portuguese military engineers and architect responsible for the rebuilding, on a regular street plan, of the area between Terreiro do Paço (Praça do Commercio) and O Rocío, Lisbon, after the earthquake of 1755. Buildings were in a French Neo-Classical style, and the works at Lisbon are among the most impressive of all late 18th century town-planning schemes. The work was carried out under the aegis of Sebastião José de Carvalho e Mello, later Marquess of Pombal (1699–1782).
He studied "Class of Military Fortification and Architecture" but did not finish, as he already started working during studies. In 1750 he was appointed inspector of the work of the court, including the works of the stately homes of Ribeira and other stately homes and royal architect of the Senate of Lisbon.
Paiol of Santa Barbara, Lisbon
Hospital of Caldas da Rainha, Lisbon
Praça do Commercio, Lisbon