The Ángel de la Independencia, is a victory column located on a roundabout over Paseo de la Reforma in downtown Mexico City. Construction of it was ordered in 1902 by President Porfirio Díaz. Architect Antonio Rivas Mercado was in charge of the design of the monument, while the actual construction was supervised by Mexican engineers Gonzalo Garita and Manuel GorozpeIt. In later years it was made into a mausoleum for the most important heroes of that war. The column itself is 36 metres high. The structure is made of steel covered with quarried stone decorated with garlands, palms and rings with the names of Independence figures. The 6.7 meter statue by Enrique Alciati represents the Winged Victory. It is made of bronze, covered with gold and weighs 7 tons. It is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Mexico City, and it has become a focal point for both celebration and protest.