Chapel School Littfeld

Chapel school Littfeld

The former chapel school in the Kreuztal village of Littfeld is estimated to be 400 years old, meaning that the chapel school dates back to pre-
Reformation times. The chapel room was located downstairs and the classroom upstairs.
The chapel itself was equipped with a pulpit and several pews. The chapel was damaged during the 30 Years War. In 1680, the classroom was added and the school building was further expanded.
Currently, the old schoolhouse accommodates the civic meeting place of the local historical society. It also serves as an archive where historical writings and pictures are kept.

Chapel school Littfeld photograph

Littfeld in: The Chapel Schools' Book

Chapel schools form a solitary architectural type for the Siegerland and its neighboring regions.

As stand-alone buildings and conspicuous in their surroundings, like the one in Littfeld, they reveal the connection between religion and school education starting from the domain of Count William I of Nassau-Katzenelnbogen (1487-1559) and his son John VI of Nassau, Katzenelnbogen and Dietz (1536-1606). The hybrid used buildings existed until the end of the 19th century and in parts even until the 20th century. 
Chapel Schools a solitary architectural type

The Siegen fine art photographer Thomas Kellner recognized the historical and cultural value of these buildings and set himself the task of preserving and recalling this typical regional cultural asset through a new medium. By means of photography he transfers the chapel schools into an artistic context and gives the historical topic a new dimension in the present (art). 

Just as the chapel schools united in themselves two spheres of life, this publication also conveys different contemporary perspectives on the history and genesis of the chapel schools. While Kellner tries to rethink the type of building, which oscillates between profane and sacred, with his artistic realization, Chiara Manon Bohn, Isabell Eberling M. Sc. Dr. Andrea Gnam and Dr. Stefanie Siedek-Strunk provide an insight into the historical, architectural and religious classification of the chapel schools up to the pictures of Thomas Kellner in text contributions.