The Battersea Power Station is a defunct power station in London. The building is the largest brick-built structure in Europe and is notable for its original and lavish Art Deco fittings and decor. Construction, which was carried out by John Mowlem & Co, started in 1929 and was completed in 1939. The Battersea Power Station was designed by the industrial architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott as a single long hall with a chimney at either end. In 1980 the station was declared a heritage site, and in 1983 production at Station B ended.