Birmingham City Council House was built as home for the Birmingham City Council in1874. It is built in the classical architectural styles and was finished in 1879. It provides office accommodation for both employed council officers, including the Chief Executive, and elected council members, plus the council chamber, Lord Mayor's Suite, committee rooms and a large and ornate banqueting suite, complete with minstrels' gallery. The Museum and Art Gallery is partly housed within the same building. H. R. Yeoville Thomason (1826-1901) designed the Council house after winning a competition against Martin & Chamberlain, who wants to build the house in gothic architectural styles. The Council House was extended almost immediately in 1881-1885 and again in 1911-1919 (architects Ashley & Newman).