Madrid, Museo del Prado
The Museo del Prado is a museum and art gallery located in Madrid, which features the world finest collection of European art from the 12th century through to the early 19th century. The building was constructed in 1819 by Juan de Villanueva. It was built during the reign of Charles III to bestow upon Madrid. The structure was used as headquarters for the cavalry and a gunpowder-store for the Napoleonic troops based in Madrid during the War of Independence. The first addition was made in 1918 and more rooms were added again in the 1950s and 60s.