The Ural Heavy Machine Building Plant (Uralmash) was the leading plant in Sverdlovsk (Yekaterinenburg). During Soviet Union times, the plant became a symbol for pride in the city. It was built from 1928 to 1933 in the suburbs of Yekatarinburg. All the machinery and equipment hat been sublied and installed by German and English companies, and during the first few years, there were over 200 foreign workers there (half of them were German). Uralmash was a producer of blast furnaces and sintering equipment for steel, rolling mills, presses and huge walking excavators. During World War II, the large-scale production of tanks, canons and armored material was organized at the plant. And even today, the plant remains a supplier of mining equipment, machinery and equipment for the metallurgical and oil industries.