The Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is built in the Manuline Style and it was classified in 1983 by the UNESCO, as a World Heritage Site. Construction of the monastery began in 1502 and took 50 years to complete. It was designed by Diogo Boitaca and Joao de Castilho and under the regime of King Johannes III a choir was added. The monastery houses until 1834 the religious order of the holy Hieronymus. The monastery survived the earthquake in 1755 but it was destroyed by Napoleon at the beginning of the 19th century.