The construction of the Palazzo Ducale in Genoa began in the 13th century. The foundations of the awe-inspiring tower named "Torre del Popolo", also belong to this early period: it was completed in 1539 and still "towers" over the old part of the city. During the 14th century the Palace was enlarged, other buildings were added to the original one to fulfil the need for an inner square. The Chapel, in the same lodge, is a simple rectangular room entirely decorated by Giovanni Battista Carlone (1653-55). During the fire of 1777 several parts of the Palace were destroyed. The reconstruction of the central side of the building began from a design of the Simone Cantoni, a famous neo-classical architect and was finished at the beginning of the 19th century.