The Berliner Dom is a baroque Cathedral built between 1894 and 1905 and it is located on an island in the river Spree. It was designed by Julius Raschdorff and it is 114 metres long and 73 metres wide. During the Second World War, the building was hit by a fire bomb which severely damaged much of the Cathedral. Reconstruction started in 1975 and the restoration of the interior begun in 1984 and in 1993 the church reopened. During reconstruction, the original design was modified into a more simplified form. The Dom can be visited daily.