Place de la Concorde is the largest square in Paris and it’s between the Tuileries and the Champs-Elysées. The square surrounding the statue of Louis XV was created in 1772, by the architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel. During the time of the revolution the place was used for executions. In the 19th century the 3200 years old and 23 metres high obelisk from the temple of Ramses II at Thebes was installed at the centre of the Place de la Concorde. At each corner of the octagonal square is a statue representing a French city, which were installed in 1836 by Jacob Ignaz Hittorf, who also built two fountains during the redesign of the place from 1833 till 1846.