Pingyao was a hometown of the most successful business groups in China, during the Ming and Qing dynasties. The government particularly looked after the city’s imageThere because of the fast development in commerce and trade there. The area around the tower was the most affluent business area of the town, with a morning, noon, and evening market every day. Its unknown when exactly the tower was built. The first renovation of the tower was in 1688 during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It has a triple-eave wood structure 18.5 meters tall, with green and yellow glazed tile on the roof and eaves. The colored tiles on the roof and eaves form the Chinese characters for happiness and longevity as an auspicious sign.