Parliament House is the meeting place of the Parliament of Australia. The building was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola & Thorp Architects. The Parliament House was opened on 9 May 1988 by Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia. Federal Parliament meetings were first held in Melbourne until 1927. The Parliament House in Canberra contains 4,700 rooms, and many areas are open to the public.