Marina City: 300 N State Street, Chicago, IL 60610
The Marina City complex was designed in 1959 by architect Bertrand Goldberg (July 17, 1913 – October 8, 1997) and completed in 1964 to be a "city within a city".
The complex featured numerous on-site facilities including a theatre, gym, swimming pool, ice rink, bowling alley, several stores and restaurants, and of course, a marina.
Marina City was built by general contractor James McHugh Construction Co. which subsequently built Water Tower Place in 1976 and Trump Tower in 2009, both also tallest reinforced concrete structures in the world at the time.
The two Twin round towers contain identical floor plans. The bottom 19 floors form an exposed spiral parking ramp operated by valet with 896 parking spaces per building. The 20th floor of each contains a laundry room with panoramic views of the Loop, while floors 21 through 60 contain apartments (450 per tower)
In 1977, the building was converted to condominiums.
In late 1994, the commercial portion of the Marina City Complex was sold to a new real estate investor and developer.
In 1996, The House of Blues opened in the former theater building.
In 1998, AMF Bowling, Smith and Wollensky, House of Blues Hotel, and Bin 36 all opened.
>>> Marina City