The palace, originally built by Bartolomeo Rebuffo around 1509, is located near the city walls of the twelfth century. It is known either as Palazzo Serra or by its second owner Palazzo Marc'Aurelio Rebuffo. 1644 Senator of the Republic Marc'Aurelio Rebuffo extended the palace. In 1779 the Marquis Stefano Serra occupies the entire block. Architect Giovanni Battista Pellegrini extended the building and added the first floor gallery to the building.
The Palazzo Serra Today it houses the Italian Institute for Philosophical Studies.