InfoGERMANY

Berlin, Brandenburger Tor

Berlin, Brandenburger Tor

The Brandenburg Tor is a former city gate and right on the border between East and West Berlin at the Pariser Platz. It was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans from 1788 to 1791. The quadriga of victory crowning the gate was built in 1793 by Johann Gottfried Schadow. The 60 metres tall gate was part of a wall surrounding the city and was the main entrance to the city. The Brandenburger Tor was the symbol of the city's divide and it is today one of Europe's most famous landmarks 

>>> pricing for this image

>>> Carl Gotthard Langhans

Share