Genoa, Palazzo Grimaldi Brignole, Galleria di Palazzo Bianco
The Galeria Palazzo Bianco was built 1565 by the Grimaldi noble family on the Via Garibaldi and transformed by Giovanni and Domenico Ponzello in 1711. The building was donated to the Comune of the Duchess of Galliera. It was intended that it should become a civic museum. After post-war restoration the paintings were displayed according to their period and painting school. There are works by the Flemish and Dutch masters (Memling, David, Matsys, Rubens, Van Dyck) some important Italian artists (Veronese, Filippino Lippi, Guido Reni, Caravaggio, Procaccini) and Spanish work is represented by some paintings by Murillo and Zurbaran. There is also a large collection of Genovese pictures from between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries with very valuable canvasses by the major contributors: L.Cambiaso, B.Strozzi, G. Assereto, B. Castiglione, G. De Ferrari, D. Piola and A. Magnasco.
>>> Giovanni and Domenico Ponzello