Reykjavic, Alpingishus (Parliament House)
The Alpingishus (Parliament House of Iceland), located in the centre of Reykjavic, houses the Icelandic parliament (Alþingi). The 18th century building was designed by Danish architect Ferdinand Meldahl, also known for designing the Frederiks Kirken (peace church) in Copenhagen. It was built between 1880 and 1881. As well as housing the Icelandic National Library and Antiquaries Collection, Alþingishúsið used to put up the University of Iceland until 1940. After that the building became the president´s office, before moving into Stjórnarráðið in 1973. Today only a few meeting rooms and the offices of some of the senior parliamentary staff are still located in the builing, as there are plans for a new building to house these offices.