Cardiff, Norwegian Church
The Norwegian Church was built between the East and West Docks in Cardiff for the Norwegian Sailors to provide religious and social care. It was built in 1868 and was extended in the following years. Herman Lunde of Oslo was the founder of that church. It was the oldest surviving church in Britain to be founded by the Norwegian Seamen’s Mission and was the centre of Scandinavian religion, culture and tradition. Because of economic terms the Seamen’s mission stopped in 1959 and the church felt into disrepair. The Trust and a Norwegian Support Committee raised £250,000 in Wales and Norway and in 1987 the old church was dismantled and stored for reassembly. It was re-erected on its present site and re-opened in April 1992 by Princess Martha Louise of Norway.
>>> Norwegian Church