Berlin, Schloss Bellevue
Schloss Bellevue (Bellevue Palace) is located in Berlin's Tiergarten district and has been the official residence of the President of Germany since 1994. It was designed by architect Michael Philipp Boumann, and was built in 1786 as a summer residence for Prince Augustus Ferdinand of Prussia, Herrenmeister ("Master of the Knights") of the Johanniterorden ("Order of Saint John") and younger brother of King Frederick II of Prussia, on the site of a manor house which Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff had built in 1743. It is located on the banks of the Spree river, along the northern edge of the Großer Tiergarten park, close to the Berlin Victory Column, . Its name – the French for "beautiful view" – describes its scenic panoramic view over the Spree's course. The Palace is surrounded by a park of about 20 hectares.