The Gendarmenmarkt was created at the end of the 17th century as a market place, the Linden Markt. The current name is derived from the Regiment Gens d'Armes, who had their stables here from 1736 to 1773. From 1777, the square was redeveloped after plans by Georg Christian Unger. Today it is a quiet place surrounded by three landmark buildings, the Französischer Dom, Deutscher Dom and the Konzerthaus. In the center of the square is a statue of Friedrich Schiller.