Tiantan, Temple of Heaven
The Temple of Heaven is a complex of religious buildings situated in Xuanwu District, in the southeastern urban Beijing. The temple complex was constructed from 1406 to 1420 during the reign of the Yongle Emperor. The complex was extended and renamed Temple of Heaven during the reign of the Jiajing Emperor in the 16th century. The Jiajing Emperor also built the Temple of Sun, Earth and Moon. The Temple of Heaven was renovated in the 18th century under the Qianlong Emperor. The Temple ground covers 2.73 km² of parkland and consists of three main buildings. The Temple of Heaven was registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1998.